Saturday, July 23, 2011

Go Nuts! Get Seedy!


I am a HUGE lover of nuts & seeds, particularly on my soups and salads, but I've recently begun my quest for the best nut butters and now I'm (right now, actually) spreading my toast with sunflower seed butter. My partner, R, is regularly making smoothies with nut butters, which take the cold treats to a whole new decadent level. All of the different nut milks and butters have different things to offer, taste and health-wise. Coconut butter is sure to please your senses when you want a touch of sweetness, while pumpkin seeds go superbly with tomato sauce and make a great addition to vegan pizza. I add chia and flax to my oats in the morning. The taste is subtle, but the gooey texture is just perfect for porridge (and that wasn't supposed to make you lose your appetite). Every dish could benefit from nuts & seeds. Trust me. 

Reap the Benefits:
> rich in energy
> packed with protein
> antioxidants
> great source of minerals like manganese, potassium, calcium, iron, magnesium, zinc and selenium
> help lower LDL, or "bad cholesterol"
> excellent source of vitamin E
> good source of omega 3's
> helps keep skin well protected from dryness


Eat Up!
Oatmeal Topped with Coconut Butter
Hemp Spread with Fresh Basil by Goddess of Cake
Quinoa Oats with Cococnut, Sunflower Seeds, Chia Seeds & Walnuts by  Side of Sneakers
Cashew Cream Dressing by Gluten-Free Goddess
Veggie Salad with Mango Dressing, Kiwi & Hemp Seeds by Swell Vegan
Vegan Tomato Soup Topped with Roasted Pumpkin Seeds by Cafe Veg News
Broccoli Salad with Spicy Sesame Peanut Sauce  by The Perfect Pantry
Couscous Salad Made with Beans & Sunflower Seeds 
Bean & Cauliflower Salad with Pine Nuts by Chow Bella
Raw Orange Chia Seed Breakfast Pudding by Raw Food Recipes
Veggie "Tuna" Salad Made with Almonds by Gluten-Free Goddess
Pecan Crackers by Gluten-Free Goddess

No comments:

Post a Comment